Sports can be a powerful and exciting subject for your writing, so it’s important to know the basics of how to cover it. Below we’ve outlined some of the key points to consider when covering any sport, from a local game to an international competition.
1. The defining characteristics of a sport are that it requires physical exertion and usually involves competition between participants.
2. It is governed by a set of rules or customs that serve to ensure fair competition and allow consistent adjudication of the winner.
3. The result of a competitive sporting event may be determined by objective measures such as time or by subjective methods such as artistic impressions.
4. Some sports also involve the use of rules that encourage socialization and provide training for self-discipline, teamwork and leadership skills.
5. The emergence and diffusion of modern sports is a part of the larger process of globalization, which focuses on the movement of people, money, images, and ideas across national borders.
6. The interplay between sports and national identity politics can be complex.
In many countries, sport is a major part of the national culture. It is used to represent, maintain and challenge particular views of national identity. It is therefore essential to understand how a variety of political and economic factors impact the development of sports in a nation.